THE TRANSATLANTIC MAGAZINE
A US Pet Food Manufacturer, Midwestern Pet Foods, has issued a recall for a number of popular American pet food brands including Sportmix, Pro Pac, Splash, Sportstrail and Nun. The recall follows an FDA warning after 70 dogs were thought to have died due to potentially fatal levels of a toxin known as aflatoxin.
The FDA's warning, issued last week, refers to "certain Sportmix pet food products ... manufactured by Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. in their Oklahoma plant that may contain potentially fatal levels of aflatoxins." The warning adds that "As of January 11, 2021, FDA is aware of more than 70 pets that have died and more than 80 pets that are sick after eating Sportmix pet food. Not all of these cases have been officially confirmed as aflatoxin poisoning through laboratory testing or veterinary record review. This count is approximate and may not reflect the total number of pets affected."
Retailers will no longer sell the product, but if you happen to have bought one of the affected items from the US, or imported one to the UK, the FDA is recommending you contact the company listed on the packaging for information on safe disposal. If your pet has eaten some of the affected products, you're advised to contact your vet.
Full details on the FDA warning and the recall can be found at www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/outbreaks-and-advisories/fda-alert-certain-lots-sportmix-pet-food-recalled-potentially-fatal-levels-aflatoxin